To all my friends in the states, I am guessing that IT IS COLD! Use some tropical inspiration to whisk yourself away to the lull of ocean waves and the lazy summer sunshine.
Let’s live the tropical dream today 🙂 A mix of tropical fruits, a tiny taste of coconut, and the addition of some spices that stimulate circulation and boost metabolism. It is worth nothing, though, this is a high fruit-sugar smoothie, so make sure you plan accordingly if you’re working to control blood sugars.
Warming Tropical Dream Smoothie
- 1 papaya
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 banana
- 1/2 mango
- 1 tsp coconut oil, unrefined
- squeeze of lime
- dash of cayenne powder
- Ginger, to taste (start low)
- water to help blend; make desired consistency
- Optional sweetening: agave, honey, stevia, or blend in dates
- Optional :garnish with a few raw macadamia nuts
- Blend the papaya, avocado, banana, mango, lime, and water.
- Add warming spice(s) to taste.
- Taste and sweeten as needed with agave or honey.
- Pour into a festive tropical glass, and garnish with nuts and a little extra dash of your warming spice(s)
- Toss a cute little umbrella in it, play some island music, and dream of beaches!
Recipe from http://www.DublinDietitian.com
This is a wonderfully healthy smoothie! Papaya is rich in vitamins A and C (which help with skin collagen – keeping it smooth, firm, and healthy!) as well as papain, a enzyme that can help with your digestion. Avocado, rich in vitamin K and fiber, is also a source of health promoting monounsaturated fats, specifically oleic acid. Lime, like lemons, will be loaded with vitamin C and enzymes.
Once condemned for its high saturated fat content, there are now studies coming out showing there are different TYPES of saturated fats, and coconut’s may not be as bad as once thought. Lauric acid, a medium-chain fatty acid in coconut, may be a form of fat that the body is not going to absorb really quickly, and would rather burn quickly as fuel. Coconut is also very healthy for the skin, giving it healthy beautifying fats and good hydration (yay for softer, healthier skin!) So enjoy in moderation!
Have a wonderful, warm spirited day!